Advantages : It is made out of polyethylene. These tanks are heavy-duty and are built to last.
- It has low initial cost.
- It requires no skilled labour , it is quick and easy to install.
- It requires no maintenance.
- Its unique shape is designed to withstand soil pressure.
- It has a double chamber that ensures only clean water enters the soak-away pit.
- Unlike a concrete tank, it does not allow seepage of water through cracks.
- Can be developed for communities as well as individual domestic use.
Sanitation Disposal System :
The Roto Plastic Septic Tank was designed and developed by a team of experts after lengthy research. The ultimate goal was to develop and produce an inexpensive sanitation disposal system that would be quick and easy to install. Roto's ready-to-use septic tanks became the perfect answer. Hundreds of these units are in operation throughout Rwanda, DRC and Burundi.
Working Process : The ready-to-use septic tanks from Roto, partially liquefies and breaks up solid waste by gasification. Through this anaerobic bacteria develops. Scum is formed, which floats to the surface. This reduces the waste to approximately 1/3 of its volume. Once full, the bulk of the sludge is pumped out by the local authorities or private contractors at intervals leaving a small amount to restart the action of the bacteria in the newly admitted sewage. The water that leaves the septic tank to the soak-away pit is clear and does not smell. This water can therefore also be directed to a sub-soil irrigation system.